School's History

The church built the school in 1844 as a single classroom school on land given by the Duke of Norfolk. The school sesquicentennial was 1994.

Fortunate to be sited in such a special environment the school is also blessed with detailed information about its past. Through the reign of Queen Victoria farm workers in the fields nearby set their watches by the school bell. It was built twenty seven years before schooling became compulsory and at the outset scholars paid one penny a week for their education.

At the turn of the century all the children wanted to be monitors in order to have the opportunity to earn sixpence a week. To earn this they had to sweep the classrooms after school, clean out and re-lay the fire. Older children had to chop firewood and fill the coal scuttle. The school porch had to be washed on Fridays or Saturday mornings.

The school log does not record a dispute over payment for these duties but it has been well documented.

A Mrs Penfold recalled the teachers suggesting to governors that the then four-penny wage be increased. The governors responded by withholding the children’s Christmas presents. The parents of other children ensured that the monitors were not excluded and at a later date the wage was increased.

The school log books do not mention the twenty-six foot well in which the headteacher’s wife drowned herself in 1878! This well was uncovered when the school was renewed in 1996 and pupils placed a time capsule under the floor of the new quiet room.